Monday, October 4, 2010

Moonbeam Awards Finalist!

I just got word that Kestrel's Midnight Song is a finalist in the 2010 Moonbeam Awards! The category is "Young Adult Fiction - Fantasy-Sci Fi," and four finalists were chosen, instead of the standard three, meaning this category received a particularly large number of entrants, and there will be a tie between two of us.

The gold, silver, and bronze medals will be handed out in mid-October, but honestly I'm just giddy to be a finalist. (Flapping-my-wings-around-the-living-room-giddy.)

For those of you familiar with Curse of the Spider King, by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper, it won the silver medal in the same category last year, and the silver seal is now prominently displayed on the cover. I wonder if I can just have the publisher buy copies of the actual medal to melt on there... Just kidding Scott!

Anyway, congrats to all the other finalists. Click here to check out the full list.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the awards ceremony in Traverse City, Michigan. (The Traverse City Children's Book Festival)

Fortunately, I may be doing something that is even cooler...


Yes.

The Costco in Clarkston, Washington has invited me to a booksigning in November. The final date hasn't been nailed down yet, but it looks likely that it will be November 13th, the day of the Book Festival.

This is an opportunity so huge... it has to take place in a Costco Warehouse. And I'm looking forward to it. In my next blog post I'll bring everyone up to speed on what I've been up to (with lots of pictures,) including how the Costco signing came about. But for now, a call to arms!

If you've read Kestrel's Midnight Song, and would like to help, consider posting a review on Amazon.com. Reviews there really, really help. They don't have to be over-the-top, glowing. Just post your honest thoughts. I would really appreciate it!







photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scaredykat/2729912657/sizes/o/in/photostream/

19 comments:

Jessica Greyson said...

Congratulations that is SO exciting!

Precentor said...

Wowzers! That's awesome! I'm pumped for you :D

Hannah Nicole said...

Awesomeness, Jacob! And that Costco book-signing IS a big thing. I repeat--awesomeness.

And just for good measure...

Awesomeness. ;-)

Jake said...

Whoa...dude, you're movin' up in the world of Christian Fantasy! *applauds* BTW, I finally ordered KMS. Whenever I finish it, I'll plaster reviews all over the place--including my blog. :D

Prescott said...

Congrats! If this is successful, maybe you could come to the Costco in Gig Harbor! If possible, I could try to help inquire and arrange things... The Clarkston one is wayyy too far for me. :(

Unknown said...

Awesome!!

Leighton Hajicek said...

Jacob! That is blow-you-away news! I bet Scott is absolutely pumped!

I believe that you haven't been getting my emails or calls or checking chat. :P I need to talk to you... maybe call me?

Do one of those please, because both me and Chris are in need of getting the three of us on chat or on phone sometime. lol I'm making lots of TDF trailer progress.

- Leighton

Prescott said...

I emailed you

Jake said...

Jacob; I just got KMS! I am STOKED!! The cover looks so awesome. :D :D

Jacob R Parker said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Jake: Thanks for agreeing to plaster KMS everywhere! I hope you enjoy it. (And thanks to everyone else who already has.)

Leighton, Noah, I'm getting to emails... still. Have patience with me. :P

Jake said...

Surey! :) KMS is awesome so far... :D

*poofs to finish KMS*

Carleigh said...

Congratulations on being one of the finalists! That is really exciting!

Hey, I just want to let you know I received my Starbucks Gift Card, yesterday. Thanks a lot! I can't wait to drink my fill. :D

Jake said...

Jacob Parker; I have one thing to say to you... :|

....

....

YOUR BOOK WAS AMAZING!!! Seriously, you're doing a sequel, right? I'm going to drive to your house and...pleasantly ask you to make the next book...you if you aren't doing a sequel. :| (I thought of saying something...hm...more violent, but I decided better of it)

Bravo, Jacob! Wonderful book. You totally smacked me over my head when I found out that Samuel...uh...*clears throat and winks furiously* Uh, you know...that one thing. ;)

Rachel Kimberly said...

Oooh! Costco! (My family shops there a lot.) It sounds like a great opportunity! AND your book is a finalist?

Now I'm REALLY impatient for my copy of the book to arrive...

Jacob R Parker said...

Jake: Wow, I'm so glad you liked it so much! And thanks for letting me know what you thought. It made me feel good. :)

Evergreena: Yeah, my family does the majority of our shopping at Costco. I'm a fan. :) I'm eager to hear what you think when your copy arrives!

Jake said...

My sister read and loved it too. XD Review coming up shortly...

Jake said...

I posted a review of KMS if yo wish to read it. :) http://teenagewritingrocks.blogspot.com/2010/10/review-kestrels-midnight-song.html

Free Giftcards NOW said...

@ Jacob,

I have never heard of your book, but it certainly looks as though it is a good one! And by the way congratulations on the achievement.

~Son of the King~

PK said...

I just got your book on kindle. It is SO good. can't wait for more. You might be one of my favorite authors, no joke. Great Job.